Monday, June 9, 2014

Summit Interview with Arpan Khurana



1. Give us a short description of your job, scope and team: We are a team of recruiters based in Hong Kong and China serving Retail, sourcing and leverage organizations in Asia.
2. Tell us about you (your home town, residence, family, education, etc): I grew up in an Indian family in Canada. I have spent majority of my life in Mississauga (a suburb of Toronto and about 5 minutes from Walmart Canada HO). I had graduated as a Pharmacist but realized soon that it wasn’t my passion (fortunately for the patients) and then decided to write GMAT and qualified for MBA. I am married and have 2 kids (Tanya and Aryan).
3. How did you get into recruiting? By accident…I met a recruiter on a train journey from Toronto to Ottawa who was living the charming life of a snow bird (We use this term in Canada for people who live In Canada only during summer and spend winters in Florida etc). She was very passionate about her profession and got me hooked into knowing more. I later on went to work for her out of her basement office, recruiting for US automotive sector and then moved onto RPO sector that led to Corporate recruiting.
4. How many years have you been in recruiting? 14 years plus
5. What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you? I grew up wanting to be a Fighter jet pilot.
6. What are your top 3 goals you hope you and your team accomplish in the next year? Work together towards one goal, bring more high quality diverse talent to the organization and help the region simplify talent acquisition
7. What do you like most about your current job? What do you dislike? Teaching and building talent acquisition skillets in Asia region. Dislike- I wish we were a little less complex.
8. Do you have a work pet peeve in yourself or others? Wish I had more patience
9. What is the best thing for you about working for Walmart? Great brand and even better people.
10. When does the day start for you? 6:30 am to get the kids ready for school
11. When you are off work how you do relax? Watch and play sports (basketball, tennis, badminton, squash, and baseball etc)
12. Can you give us a few unchecked items on your Life’s Bucket List: Fly a Fighter jet, Watch baseball at Fenway Park and Wrigley Field. Watching a live March Madness event. Watching cricket at SCG and Lords.
13. What was your top take-a-way from the 2014 Global Walmart Recruiting Summit? There is so much talent within all the regions. We need to do a better job in creating opportunities for our talent to move across the world.
14. If you had a Magic Genie and one wish; what one project on your plate would you ask for help on? Did Tom ask you to slip this one in???
15. Fill in the blank: “I’ve been fortunate to___________” have an opportunity to live and work in different parts of the world.
16. Where do I spend most of my disposable income: Tech Gadgets and Travel
17. What 1 book would you recommend colleagues read? Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer (I enjoy fiction)
18. What is your biggest productivity challenge? I wish my clients were based in the same office so we could reduce complexity created by the trail of emails.
19. Do you have a favorite quote? Smile a Lot….It costs nothing!
20. Do you have one internet tool / smart-phone app that you cannot do without? Flipboard
21. One word to sum me up: Realist

No comments:

Post a Comment